The Croft hall stands on the site of the old Free Grammar School, (1635-1884), and was built thanks to the generosity of sir William Pearce of Chilton Lodge.
The builder was J.H Wooldridge & Sons of the Wharf in Hungerford, and was originally known as Church House, which in addition to the main hall housed accommodation for the curate and caretaker, together with a separate kitchen.
The name was changed in later years to "The Croft Hall", when all the rooms were made available for public and business use, and today houses the Hungerford Playgroup, founded in 1972/3, while offices occupy the first floor, formerly the curate's accommodation.
The Hall has been improved with new theatre lighting and sound systems and also has an efficient air conditioning system. .
The Main Hall and Committee Room are available for hire for meetings, parties, and other social functions, and an alcohol licence is available to hi
For a more detailed account please visit the Hungerford Virtual Museum website.